Why Books are a Must for Holiday Gift Giving
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!”
With the holidays around the corner, there are a myriad of gift ideas for kids of all ages. In the past we used to go with the big flashy choices, those toys that beep and flash and make noises which, after ten minutes, have you tearing your hair and asking yourself why you thought this toy was a good idea. My kids are inundated with electronics, games, YouTube and iPad’s, so for the last few years, our go to gifts have changed and become the gift of thought. The gift of communication. And sometimes the gift of shhhhh. We’ve gone old school, giving each other books at the holidays and here are the top five reasons why books are the best gifts!
1) No set up or batteries are required. There’s nothing quite so challenging as a toddler trying to free a toy from its packaging. They then give you the box, and being the adult, you of course step up to the task. However, the toy is packaged so effectively that it often requires wire cutters, a blow torch and an ax to remove it. Once it’s unpackaged, you then need to find your tools (and the right screwdriver of course, which takes twenty attempts) to unscrew the back panel on the toy where the thirty batteries need to be aligned. The beauty of a book… your child opens it, turns to the first page, and away you go!
2) There’s no generation gap. What can create a better memory for a child than snuggling beside a parent or grand parent and turning the pages of a book together? The impact it leaves on a child can be immense, and be one of the triggers that build a strong foundation for a love of reading through life.
3) Books are a doorway to millions of new ideas and creativity. My kids started off with the DK Touch and Feel and Sophie la giraffe series when they were little. And we became lifers! The book’s textures and colours leapt off the pages and were always my kids’ favourites in their libraries. As they got older, they discovered DK’s amazing activity books, in particular the Lego series of building and ideas, with the aptly named Lego Ideas Book and 365 Things to do with Lego Bricks. As a mom who works from home, I used to stock up on books, and put them away for the days they were sick or off school and they would generate hours of fun and creativity.
My ten year old son is now into DK’s Computer Coding series of books. I figure in the next few years, he’ll be ready to run my website and do the upgrades!
4) DK Books – They’re not just for kids! Having perused the DK site countless times, I’ve been introduced to some of their amazing books for adults. I’m not a great cook (I burn rice!) so I’ve been indulging in DK’s diverse cook book selection. For the budding or sophisticated chef in you, or as a subtle gift for a friend who is a lousy cook, there are cookbooks that might make you the next Gordon Ramsey. My personal favourites include: Cooking Season by Season and Souping: Lose weight, Cleanse, Detoxify, Re-energize. After you lose weight from souping, you can enjoy the Chocolate: Indulge your inner chocoholic which includes phenomenal chocolate recipes.
If your child is interested in cooking or baking, this can become a fun family affair. Our favourite kids cookbook has become Eat your Greens, Reds, Yellows and Purples which is easy for them to navigate and makes them feel like they’re king of the kitchen.
5) It gives everyone a time out. Parenting is not easy, and in 2017 it seems every minute is filled keeping our little ones or ourselves busy. We are barraged daily with messages on our news feeds, social media, texts and tablets. What we really need to do is just stop. For as crazy and hectic as parenting can be, the simplicity, beauty and connection of reading with your baby or children, is one of the greatest gifts you can give each other. Shutting everything else off, creating a routine and time set aside that you can both enjoy with quality and quiet.
So before you despair that there are no Fingerlings left in store, rejoice in the fact that there are millions of amazing other gifts at your fingertips on the DK site and in stores. And who knows… one of those books may lead your child to grow up and become the inventor of the next big holiday must have!
Owner & Founder
Movies for Mommies Canada
Mother of Two Amazing Boys